- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cans brown lentils- rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots - chopped finely +2 carrots for topping
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 8-10 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, chopped
- pinch and a half allspice
- 1 tsp of dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium pan melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions and begin to brown. Next add chopped carrots and peas and cook until vegetables begin to soften. Add in lentils and mushrooms and cook approximately 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel and boil sweet potatoes and remaining carrots- chopped. Transfer filling to baking pan. If it seems very dry, add several tablespoons of water to your pan drippings over low heat- stir and add to filling. When carrots and sweet potatoes are soft, drain liquid and mash. Add additional seasoning, salt and pepper, if desired. Spread over lentil mixture. Bake in a 350 F oven for approximately 20 minutes, then broil an additional 5 minutes to brown topping, if necessary.