2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1 inch cubes.
8 cups water or stock, boiling
- In a large soup pot, warm the oil (or butter)
- Caramalize onion in the pot, sauteing 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Add the squash cubes and cook for 10 more minutes until the outside of the cube is soft
- Pour the boiling water (or stock) over the onion/squash mixture
- Bring entire mixture to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes
- In a blender or food processor, puree soup in very small batches (allowing for steam) at low, then working up to high speed until mixture is smooth and creamy. Re-heat if necessary. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and fresh mint leaves or cilantro, if desired.