• Leave the skin on fruit, where appropriate. Apples, pears and plums are excellent sources.
• Enjoy high-fibre veggies such as broccoli, green beans, sweet potato (with skins)
• Nuts are another great source of dietary fibre. Remember raw is best!
• Berries, including strawberries and blueberries are great on their own or added to shakes and smoothies.
• Chia seeds are a wonderful source of fiber. Add them to salads, yogurt, smoothies, shakes and home made granola. They have a generally pleasant taste, but become gelatinous if left in liquid for a long period of time, so consume readily. Grinding in a coffee or herb grinder will reduce this effect.
Find a quickie chia pudding recipe here
• Beans and lentils are also excellent sources. Add these to soups and enjoy them in chili, curries, tacos and burritos.
• Try adding ground flax seeds to cereal, yogurt or smoothies.
*Note good hydration is essential with a high fiber diet. Drink plenty of water.