- Remove carpets when possible. Not only are they a trap for dust mites and other allergens, but they are also a source of chemical exposure. If you can't remove your carpets, vacuum regularly and steam clean periodically.
- Off-gassing furnishings can create sensitivity. Many processed “wood” products contain vinyl and petroleum derivatives, as well as formaldehyde gas.
- Air fresheners contain toxic chemicals linked to allergies, asthma and Cancer.
- Use a HEPA filter to clear air, if possible. And air out your home by opening windows and doors in low pollen times.
- Reduce indoor allergens by dusting with a damp cloth or mop rather than a duster or broom. It helps to prevent allergens from becoming airborne or spreading.
- Look for hidden mold and mildew and eliminate it. Baking soda and vinegar can be as effective as chemical cleaners. Cleaning with steam is another option. Bathrooms, kitchens and basements are major sources, but also keep an eye on the inside of your coffee maker, fridge, and water pitcher.
- Be aware of the chemicals produced by home office equipment, such as photocopiers.
- Radon gas is the second most common cause of lung Cancer in Canada. A study by Health Canada showed 7% of homes have higher than acceptable levels of radon, so getting your home checked is imperative.
Reducing toxin exposure in the home is important for maintaining good health. Many toxins produce general symptoms of malaise including headache and nausea, but others contribute to more serious health problems including hormone imbalance and Cancer.
Environmental Working Group: Cheatsheet: volatile organic compounds